Black-Eyed “Peacadillo” Salad
Total Time:30 minutes; 15 minutes active
This zingy bean salad makes a delicious accompaniment to bean and rice burgers, fried green tomatoes or cornbread.
- 2 cups cooked black-eyed peas, drained
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 2 green onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 cup corn kernels, cooked
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup pimiento-stuffed green olives, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
In a large bowl, mix all of the ingredients together. Let stand for about 15 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to meld. Serve cold or at room temperature.
Serve this zingy bean salad with vegetarian bean and rice burgers, fried green tomatoes or cornbread studded with jalapeño peppers and cheese.
211 calories, 8 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 532 mg. sodium, 32 g. carbohydrate,2 g. fiber, 7 g. protein