Peppered Strawberries with Crème Fraîche
Total Time:30 hours; 15 minutes active
Making your own crème fraîche is amazingly easy and pairing the rich cream with strawberries is delicious beyond compare.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons cracked black pepper (coarse)
- 1 pint strawberries
- Begin making the crème fraîche about a day and a half before you plan to serve this dessert. Place whipping cream and buttermilk in a jar with a lid. Add 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, cover securely and shake for 15 seconds. Set aside in a warm room temperature spot (70-75 degrees F.) for approximately 24 hours, stirring once or twice, until mixture is very thick. The warmer the temperature of the room, the faster the cream will thicken. It should be the consistency of yogurt.
- Stir thickened crème fraîche well and refrigerate for at least 6 hours before serving. Covered tightly, crème fraîche will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
- Wash and dry strawberries, leaving any green leaves or stems attached. Gently dip and twist the bottom half of each strawberry into the crème fraîche, then sprinkle lightly with fresh cracked black pepper before serving.
Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the crème fraîche, and spoon it onto fresh blueberries, sliced peaches, pies or brownies. Plain (unsweetened) crème fraîche can also be used with chopped fresh herbs or threads of saffron as a sauce for fish or poultry.
254 calories, 22 g. fat, 82 mg. cholesterol, 28 mg. sodium, 13 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber,2 g. protein