Mint Pesto Pea Soup
Total Time:30 minutes
Frozen peas give this quick and refreshing pea soup a vibrant color that's set off by parsley and mint pesto.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 6 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 2 green onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, minced
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil with the butter in a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute 5-10 minutes until onions are soft and translucent. Add half the minced garlic, and cook another minute, then add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Add the peas, return to a boil, and simmer for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat, then stir in the green onions, mint, sour cream, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Puree the soup in a blender until smooth. Taste for salt and pepper.
- To make the pesto, put the parsley, mint, garlic, pine nuts and lemon zest and juice in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add the Parmesan cheese and blend. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil until blended well. Top each bowl of soup with a large spoonful of pesto, and serve warm or chilled.
Accompany this refreshing soup with a slice of quiche or a savory hand pie for a tasty lunch. If you’re lucky enough to have leftover pesto, spread it on toasted baguette slices or whole-wheat pita triangles, and top with a sprinkle of feta for a quick appetizer.
362 calories, 20 g. fat, 23 mg. cholesterol, 752 mg. sodium, 34 g. carbohydrate, 9 g. fiber, 15 g. protein