Linguini with Artichokes and Caramelized Onions
Total Time:30 minutes
The natural sweetness of caramelized onions contrasts with the savory flavors of marinated artichokes hearts and Kalamata olives. A great main dish or works just as easily as a side.
- 1/2 pound whole wheat linguini
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 yellow onion, julienned 1/4" thick
- 2 cloves garlic,, peeled and minced
- 1/4 pound asparagus, cut into small spears
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and diced
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 - 6.5 ounce jar of marinated artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
- 2 ounces Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large pot of water to boiling. Cook linguini according to package directions. Drain.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over low to medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until they are soft and caramelized, about 15 to 20 minutes. Add the rest of the olive oil to the pan, along with the garlic, asparagus, sun-dried tomatoes, and walnuts, and cook for 5 more minutes until asparagus becomes tender. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the artichokes, oregano, and olives. Toss the veggies with the pasta, add salt and pepper to taste, and top each serving with Parmesan cheese.
Serve this Mediterranean-inspired pasta with warm foccacia and extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar for dipping, a crisp Caesar salad, and a rich dessert like tiramisu or trifle.
412 calories, 25 g. fat, 35 mg. cholesterol, 409 mg. sodium, 37 g. carbohydrate, 5 g. fiber, 13 g. protein