Kale and Sweet Potato Breakfast Skillet
Total Time:25 minutes
Why serve plain eggs when you can cook up a sizzling plateful of colorful veggies to serve with them? Start your day with this savory saute with a touch of smoky chipotle flavor.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, cubed
- 3 kale leaves with stems removed, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried sage..
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- Toast (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Place a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Drizzle in the olive oil, then add the onion and stir. Cook, stirring frequently, for about two minutes.
- Add the red bell pepper and sweet potatoes, stir and then cover the pan. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook for about five minutes, covered, until the sweet potatoes are tender. Uncover and stir in the kale, sprinkle with chipotle pepper, sage and salt, and raise the heat to medium-high. Stir for two minutes.
- Make four evenly spaced indentations in the kale mixture in the pan, then crack an egg into each one. Place in the oven and bake for five to seven minutes, until the eggs are done to your liking. Check the doneness with a paring knife prior to removing from the oven.
Serve with a side of your favorite breakfast protein or fruit along with a cup of fair trade coffee or tea.
230 calories, 9 g. fat, 210 mg. cholesterol, 400 mg. sodium, 29 g. carbohydrate, 5 g. fiber, 10 g. protein