Total Time:4 hours; 20 minutes active
Chicken hamonado is a Filipino dish in which chicken is marinated and cooked with pineapple. This recipe uses the oven to roast the chicken to tenderness. The pineapple marinade is cooked with honey on the stove to create a sticky glaze, turning inexpensive chicken thighs into a feast.
- 3 pounds chicken thighs, bone in
- 15 ounces canned pineapple chunks in juice; drain and reserve juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup honey
- Place chicken in a storage tub or one-gallon zip-top bag. In a medium bowl, combine the juice from the canned pineapple, fish sauce, lemon juice, avocado oil, garlic, salt and pepper and whisk to mix. Pour mixture over the chicken, turn to coat, then seal and refrigerate for four hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Lightly oil a nine-by-13-inch baking dish. Remove the chicken from the marinade (reserving the marinade) and place in the baking dish, skin side up. Cover the pan with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- While the chicken bakes, place the marinade and honey in a small pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer vigorously for five minutes to thicken slightly, then keep warm.
- At 20 minutes, uncover the chicken and pour the warm pineapple juice mixture over the chicken. Sprinkle the pineapple chunks between the pieces of chicken. Place the pan on the top rack in the oven, uncovered, for 20 minutes, or until the chicken is browned on top.
- Use tongs to remove the chicken and pineapple chunks from the pan to a platter and keep warm.
- Transfer the juices in the pan to the small pot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to simmer vigorously. Cook until thickened, about 10 minutes. Pour over the chicken and serve.
Serve this sweet, flavorful dish with a serving of rice as a side.
480 calories, 28 g. fat, 145 mg. cholesterol, 610 mg. sodium, 29 g. carbohydrate, 0 g. fiber, 30 g. protein