Total Time:30 minutes
Wrap simple and tasty calabacitas (sauteed zucchini, corn, tomatoes and green chilies) in tortillas or serve as a side.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups small zucchini and/or yellow squash, cut in 2-inch chunks
- 1 cup corn kernels (fresh, frozen or canned)
- 1/2 cup diced green chilies (canned)
- 1 cup diced fresh tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 pound queso fresco (or feta), crumbled
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute for 5 minutes until onion is soft. Add the squash, corn, green chilies and tomatoes and stir well. Cover the pot and simmer 10 minutes until squash is tender. Season with salt and pepper, top with the crumbled cheese and serve.
Add Southwestern flair to grilled chicken or fish with a side of calabacitas, serve over cooked grains or simply fold in a warm corn tortilla for a quick vegetarian meal.
172 calories, 11 g. fat, 20 mg. cholesterol, 180 mg. sodium, 14 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 8 g. protein