Seafood Lasagna with Dill
Total Time:2 hours; 1 hour active
Lasagna becomes a seafood lover's dream in this version, where tender bits of seafood swim in a creamy sauce. Feel free to swap out crab for fresh fish of your choice—just see what's is fresh in the seafood case. You might enjoy halibut, or for a bargain, try tilapia.
- 12 lasagna noodles, enough for three layers
- 1/2 pound peeled shrimp, chopped
- 1/2 pound canned crab meat, or raw white fish
- 1/2 pound bay scallops, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cream, room temperature
- 4 ounces (2 cups) grated Asiago Cheese, divided
- 2 ounces (1 cup) grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 4 tablespoons fresh dill
- Put on a large pot of lightly salted water to boil, and cook the lasagna noodles. Undercook the noodles by 3 minutes; they will finish cooking while the lasagna bakes. Preheat the oven to 375⁰F.
- Set up a large colander over a large bowl for draining the seafood. Chop all the seafood into 1/2-3/4-inch pieces, and sprinkle with the lemon juice. Combine the skim milk and bay leaves in a large skillet and warm over medium-high heat. When the milk it hot to the touch but not boiling, carefully add the seafood and cook for just 2-3 minutes to poach. Don't cook it completely through, just until the shrimp starts to turn pink. Drain in the colander over the bowl, reserving the milk. Let cool slightly.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and add the onions and carrots. Cook, stirring, until the onions are soft and clear and the carrots are tender when pierced with a paring knife. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir in, using a sturdy wooden spoon or spatula, to make a paste. Cook over medium-low heat for a couple of minutes, stirring, then take off the heat and gradually whisk in the reserved skim milk, half a cup at a time, making sure there are no lumps of flour. Whisk in the cream and salt, and then stir until thickened and starting to bubble. Stir in 1/2 cup each of the cheeses and 2 tablespoons of fresh dill; the cheese should melt as you stir. Take off the heat.
- spread a cup of the sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch pan,. Top with a layer of noodles, then scatter half of the seafood over it and drizzle on two cups of sauce, covering the lasagna noodles. Press down the noodles to make an even layer. Repeat with the remaining seafood, then cover with noodles and the remaining sauce, then cheese. Bake the lasagna for 40 minutes until bubbly and golden on top. Let stand on a rack for at least 5 minutes before cutting. Garnish with the remaining fresh dill at serving.
Serve this lasagna with a cucumber salad and some steamed green beans.
270 calories, 10 g. fat, 72 mg. cholesterol, 595 mg. sodium, 26 g. carbohydrate, 1 g. fiber, 19 g. protein