Grilled Pork Chops with Blueberry Barbecue Sauce
Total Time:30 minutes
Slightly spicy, slightly sweet blueberry barbecue sauce is a surprising but delicious complement to pork chops!
- 4-6 pork loin chops, bone-in or boneless
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon stone-ground mustard
- In a medium-sized skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil and saute the minced shallots and garlic over medium heat for 3 minutes. Add the spices and saute 1 minute more. Remove the skillet from the heat and place mixture into a food processor. Add the ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, tamari and water, and puree the mixture, then add the blueberries and puree until smooth. Set sauce aside.
- Lightly brush the grill and the pork chops with a little oil; then season chops with salt and pepper. Grill the chops, covered, for about 6 minutes on each side or until they reach an internal temperature of 155 degrees F. Baste with the barbecue sauce during the final few minutes.
- Remove the chops from the grill and let them rest, covered, for 5 minutes. Dress the chops with the barbecue sauce and serve with additional sauce on the side.
This slightly spicy, slightly sweet and very fragrant barbeque sauce is also a great partner with steak, pork, chicken, or duck. Serve with coleslaw with a citrus-based or creamy dressing, or maybe a mango and black bean salad. Fresh berries and cream are ideal for dessert!
Calories: 483, Fat: 18 g, Cholesterol: 134 mg, Sodium: 715 mg, Carbohydrate: 27 g, Dietary Fiber: 1 g, Protein: 53 g