Total Time:30 minutes; 15 minutes active
This classic Greek soup provides a tangy flavor and wholesome ingredients to warm you up on winter nights.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat and saute the onion for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another 1 to 2 minutes. Add the rice and stir well. Pour in the chicken broth, stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to simmer and cook 15 to 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Remove about a cup of broth from the pot, put in a small mixing bowl and slowly whisk in the beaten eggs. Once the broth and eggs are blended, slowly whisk the mixture into the rest of the simmering soup, stirring well. Add the lemon juice, cooked chicken and a pinch each of salt and black pepper. Remove from heat and taste for seasoning. Stir in the fresh parsley and serve hot.
Serve this rich, tangy chicken soup as an entrée with a small Greek salad or antipasti platter, fine cheeses and crusty bread. Baklava makes a sweet finish to the meal.
410 calories, 12 g. fat, 167 mg. cholesterol, 576 mg. sodium, 41 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 34 g. protein