Total Time:30 minutes
Get kids roaring for their veggies with this fun and tasty quesadilla (or should we say, quesosaur?).
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red pepper, plus 1/4 uncut red pepper for dinosaur spikes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrots, plus 1/4 cup carrot rounds for spots
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely chopped spinach
- 2 whole wheat tortillas
- 1/4 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup black beans
- 1/4 teaspoon sour cream
- Put the olive oil in small pan over medium heat. Stir in the chopped red pepper, chopped carrots, and garlic powder. Cook the ingredients for 5 minutes. Add the spinach and cook for 5 minutes more. Mash the beans in a bowl.
- Use a pair of clean scissors to cut a tortilla in two. Set aside one half of the tortilla. It is the dinosaur’s body.
- Cut a tortilla strip about 1 inch wide along the curved side of the other tortilla half. Cut the curved tortilla strip in half. Trim one half so it has a point. It is the dinosaur tail. The other half is the neck. Cut a head and two legs from the remainder of the tortilla half. Using the first tortilla as a guide, cut a set of identical pieces from another tortilla. Arrange one set of the cut out dinosaur tortilla shapes on a plate. This is the quesadilla’s base layer.
- Spread the beans, vegetable mixture, and cheese on top of the shapes. Place the second cut out dinosaur tortilla shapes on top of the cheese.
- Microwave for 1 minute or until the cheese is melted. Put a small dollop of sour cream on the head. Put a black bean on the sour cream for an eye. Add a cut carrot slice for the mouth. Put black beans on the feet. Cut triangular spikes from the remaining red pepper and arrange them along the back of the dinosaur. Give the dinosaur spots with the carrot rounds.
566 calories, 19 g. fat, 6 mg. cholesterol, 267 mg. sodium, 71 g. carbohydrate, 30 g. fiber, 33 g. protein