Supporting Urban and Innovative Farming Act
What it does
If Congress passes it, this bill would support the growth of urban and suburban farmers through increased programmatic and research funding. Specifically, the bill would:
- Make programmatic reform to the Office of Urban Agriculture and Innovative Production to improve the content and delivery of technical assistance to urban and innovative producers;
- Enable cooperative agreements with community experts;
- Increase access to grant funds directly to farmers;
- Scale up composting and food waste initiatives.
Who supports this bill?
Senator John Fetterman introduced The Supporting Urban and Innovative Farming Act. In the Senate, this bill is referred to as S. 2591, and these Senators are already supporting the bill. This bill has not yet been introduced to the House of Representatives.
This bill is endorsed by National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition, Fair Food Network, RAFI-USA and many other grassroots organizations.
Want to support this bill?
You can call the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 to be connected with your elected officials. An operator will ask for your address and then forward your call to friendly staff who work for the people elected to represent you. As a constituent in their district, your voice matters!
If your Senators and House Representative aren’t already on the list of cosponsors who support the bill:
- Ask your two Senators to “cosponsor the Supporting Urban and Innovative Farming Act, S. 2591”
- Ask your House Representative to “support a companion bill to the Supporting Urban and Innovative Farming Act, S. 2591.”
If your elected officials are already supporting the Supporting Urban and Innovative Farming Act, you can always contact them to thank them and help spread the word among your networks.
If you’d like to learn more about the Supporting Urban and Innovative Farming Act, you can:
- Find detailed instructions for calling or writing your Senators (tip: enter your address)
- Track the bill’s progress on Congress.gov or GovTrack
- Learn why lawmakers support this bill (Senator John Fetterman’s press release)
- Read the full bill text
See more bills worthy of your support in the 2023 Farm Bill.