Enhance Access to SNAP Act
What it does
If Congress passes it, this bill would address the growing crisis of food insecurity among college students. The Enhance Access to SNAP (EATS) Act* would address the growing crisis of food insecurity among college students by permanently allowing college students enrolled half-time or more to get SNAP benefits.
*Note the acronym of this bill (EATS) is not to be confused with the similarly abbreviated Ending Agricultural Trade Suppression (EATS) Act, which National Co+op Grocers does not support.
Who supports this bill?
The Enhanced Access to SNAP Act is a bicameral bill, which means it has some support in both the Senate and the House. Representative Jimmy Gomez and Senator Kirsten Gillibrand introduced the bill. In the House, this bill is referred to as H.R. 3183 and these Representatives are already supporting the bill. In the Senate, this bill is referred to as S. 1488, and these Senators are already supporting the bill.
This bill is endorsed by the Food Research & Action Center.
Want to support this bill?
You can call the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 to be connected with your elected officials. An operator will ask for your address and then forward your call to friendly staff who work for the people elected to represent you. As a constituent in their district, your voice matters!
If your Senators and House Representative aren’t already on the list of cosponsors who support the bill:
- Ask your two Senators to “cosponsor the Enhanced Access to SNAP Act, S. 1488.”
- Ask your House Representative to “cosponsor the Enhanced Access to SNAP Act, H.R. 3183.”
If your elected officials are already supporting the Enhanced Access to SNAP Act, you can always contact them to thank them and help spread the word among your networks.
If you’d like to learn more about the Enhanced Access to SNAP Act, you can:
- Find detailed instructions for calling or writing your Senators and Representative (tip: enter your address)
- Track the bill’s progress on Congress.gov or GovTrack
- Learn why lawmakers support this bill (Senator Kirsten Gillibrand’s fact sheet and Representative Jimmy Gomez’s press release)
- Read the full bill text
See more bills worthy of your support in the 2023 Farm Bill.