Spinach, Ham and Gruyere Strata
Total Time:1 hour
Egg strata makes a great addition to any brunch spread. With pieces of bread in the mixture, it’s a heartier version of a frittata or quiche and easily adapted to whatever ingredients you have on hand.
- 5 packed cups baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped Canadian bacon (about 7 1/2 ounces)
- 4 cups cubed bread (about 12 slices)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups grated Gruyere cheese, divided
- 5 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 400⁰F and grease an 9 x 5 inch baking dish.
- Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the shallot and cook for 2 minutes until softened. Add the spinach and cook for 1-2 additional minutes until wilted. Remove from heat and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the Canadian bacon, bread, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup of the grated Gruyere to the bowl. Mix together and transfer to the greased baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs and milk together. Add the remaining Gruyere and stir to combine. Pour the mixture evenly on top of the mixture in the baking dish.
- Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes until golden brown on top and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
431 calories, 24 g. fat, 241 mg. cholesterol, 1021 mg. sodium, 20 g. carbohydrate, 3 g. fiber, 33 g. protein