Mixed Mushroom Ragout
Total Time:30 minutes
This mushroom ragout makes a delicious side, topping for grilled meats or poultry, or as a substitute for gravies.
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, halved
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps, cut into 2-inch slices
- 3 ounces dried exotic mushrooms or 1 pound fresh exotic mushrooms (shiitake, morels, chanterelle, or porcini)
- 1 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoon walnut or olive oil
- 1/3 cup sherry
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Ground black pepper to taste0
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (optional)
- If using dried mushrooms, soak them in water overnight. Drain the soaked mushrooms and chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat the oil in a large wok or saucepan. Add the shallots and garlic and saute for a few minutes. Add the mushrooms and toss gently. Cook the mushrooms until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add the sherry, parsley, salt, and pepper. Cook for another 5 minutes, or until mushrooms are soft and sherry is absorbed.
Garnish with pine nuts and serve with buttered noodles, or heap a few tablespoons of the mushrooms on top of grilled meats or poultry.
340 calories, 8 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 376 mg. sodium, 35 g. carbohydrate, 10 g. fiber, 11 g. protein