Lemon-sage Foil-grilled Squash
Total Time:45 minutes; 20 minutes active
Try this easy technique for making tender, roasted squash on the grill. A foil packet holds in the moisture from the squash so that it steams in its own juices, concentrating the sweet, earthy flavor. A sprinkle of lemon zest and black pepper makes this dish irresistible.
- 4 cups butternut or other winter squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, slivered
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the grill (or preheat the oven to 425 F, if using instead of a grill).
- In a large bowl, combine the squash cubes, sage, olive oil, lemon zest, salt and pepper; toss to coat.
- Lay out a sheet of heavy-duty foil about 16 inches long, then place another sheet the same size on top of the first sheet. Place the squash mixture on the foil, scraping all the oil and herbs out onto the squash. Form a rectangle of squash pieces in the middle of the foil and pull the top sheet up at the sides to enclose the squash, but don't crimp or fold. Wrap the remaining sheet up and over and crimp the edges by joining the edges and then folding and compressing.
- Place the packet on the grill for about 20 minutes, then open and pierce a squash cube with a paring knife. If it is not tender, re-fold the foil and return to the grill for five minutes. Serve when tender.
Tips and Notes
To roast in the oven, place the foil packet on a sheet pan and roast for about 24 minutes before testing for tenderness.
This dish goes well with pastas, as well as grilled or roasted chicken and fish.
140 calories, 7 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 310 mg. sodium, 22 g. carbohydrate, 4 g. fiber, 2 g. protein