Total Time:30 minutes, 20 minutes active
Ditch the toast for breakfast one in a while, and bake these light and crispy corn tortilla bases for your meal. A lively chop of veggies gives the whole affair a great flavor and burst of color, and the egg makes its own sauce, if you leave the yolks a little runny.
- 4 6-inch corn tortillas
- cooking spray
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomato
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 large scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Louisiana style hot sauce
- 4 large eggs
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Spray a sheet pan with oil, then place the tortillas on the oil, and spritz the tortillas. Bake the tortillas for 4 minutes, then flip them and bake for 3-4 minutes more. When the tortillas are toasted and crisp. Transfer the tortillas to the paper towel lined plate and sprinkle with salt.
- While the tortillas bake, chop the tomatoes, bell pepper, scallions and cilantro and mix in a bowl. Add the cumin, garlic, and hot sauce to taste.
- Place a large cast iron or non-stick skillet over medium heat. Let the pan get hot for a minute, then spray or oil it well. Crack each egg and slip into the hot pan, leaving plenty of room so that they don't run together. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook until the whites are firm and the yolks are of desired doneness, 3-6 minutes.
- To serve, top each tortilla with tomato mixture, then a fried egg. Serve immediately.
191 Calories, 8 g. fat, 211 mg. cholesterol, 224 mg. sodium, 20 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 10 g. protein