Creamy Strawberry Panna Cotta
Total Time:30 minutes
This rich, Italian (eggless) custard is amazingly easy, elegant and irresistible.
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored powdered gelatin
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1 1/4 cups whole-milk plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup (about 6-8 medium) strawberries, hulled and sliced
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over water and let soften for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together one cup of cream with the yogurt, vanilla, and salt.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, heat the other cup of cream with the sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is just simmering. Remove from heat and stir in the gelatin until dissolved.
- Whisk the heated mixture into the cold cream and yogurt mixture.
- Arrange strawberry slices in the bottoms of six 6-ounce ramekins and pour the cream mixture over the strawberries. Or, pour the cream mixture into small jars or glasses and place the straberry slices on top.
- Refrigerate until cold, then cover and continue refrigerating overnight.
- If using small jars or glases, serve as is. If using ramekins, heat a small paring knife under hot water. Gently slide the knife along the inside of each ramekin to separate the panna cotta from the edges. Carefully turn each ramekin upside down onto a plate to release the panna cotta, with strawberries on top.
Garnish with mint and more strawberries, if desired.
149 calories, 6 g. fat, 21 mg. cholesterol, 63 mg. sodium, 23 g. carbohydrate, 0 g. fiber, 3 g. protein