Creamy Cashew Fettuccine Alfredo with Veggies
Total Time:35 minutes (excluding soaking cashews)
Make any night special with this easy, out-of-this world cashew-based fettuccine alfredo.
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk or other plant-based milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 12 oz. whole wheat fettuccine
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Put on a large pot of water to boil for pasta.
- In a blender, place soaked cashews, almond milk, nutritional yeast and salt. Blend, scraping down as needed, until very smooth. In a small pan over medium heat, drizzle the olive oil and add the garlic and lemon zest. As soon as the oil is sizzling and the garlic is fragrant, scrape the contents of the pan into the blender, reserving the pan. Blend the cashew mixture again, then transfer the cashew puree back into the small pan.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, adding the veggies for the final two minutes. Drain well. Transfer the drained pasta and veggies back into the pasta pot. Warm the puree in the small pan, whisking over medium-high heat, then pour over the pasta and toss to coat. If the sauce seems too thick, drizzle in more almond milk as you toss over medium heat. Serve sprinkled with parsley.
This is a rich main dish, so pair it with a lighter side, like grilled or roasted asparagus. Or start things off with a simple fruit salad.
Tips & Notes
For a gluten-free version (pictured), use one pound of spiralized zucchini and toss it with the heated sauce.
350 calories, 13 g. fat, 0 mg. cholesterol, 260 mg. sodium, 47 g. carbohydrate, 9 g. fiber , 13 g. protein