Candied Sweet Potatoes
Total Time:1 hour, 20 minutes; 20 minutes active
Sometimes, the old way is the best way. Folks have been turning the humble sweet potato into a caramelly, candied celebration for much longer than we have been spiralizing and making chips out of them. And for good reason — these butter-soft, sweet treats will melt in your mouth.
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Cut the sweet potatoes into 1½-inch chunks, placing in a two-quart baking dish as you cut.
- In a small pan, melt the butter over low heat, then stir in the brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger and salt.
- Pour the butter mixture over the sweet potatoes in the baking dish and stir and turn the pieces to coat.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for one hour, or until the potatoes are very tender when pierced with a knife. Let cool slightly before serving warm.
This sweet side goes great with rich meats, such as pork, ham and poultry and other vegetables like kale and carrots.
380 calories, 8 g. fat, 20 mg. cholesterol, 220 mg. sodium, 76 g. carbohydrate, 10 g. fiber, 4 g. protein