Avocado and Egg Brown Rice Bowl
Total Time:15 minutes
This hearty, whole grain dish couldn't be easier.
- 1 1/2 cups leftover cooked brown rice
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons canola oil or butter
- 1 large avocado
- Optional garnishes: Sliced pickled ginger, kimchi, toasted sesame seeds, sauteed greens or leftover cooked vegetables, shredded cheese, hot sauce
- Reheat rice gently in a small pan with a few drops of water, or in the microwave. Divide the heated rice between two wide bowls. Heat a cast iron or non-stick saute pan over medium heat for a minute, then add the oil or butter to the hot pan. Crack each egg, place in the pan, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover the pan and let cook for about 2 minutes, until the whites are set and the yolk is jiggly when you shake the pan gently.
- While the eggs cook, cut the avocado in half lengthwise, and remove the pit. Use a paring knife to slice each avocado half in the shell, then scoop the slices out with a spoon. Fan half of the avocado slices over each bowl of rice, and place a cooked egg on each bowl. Serve with optional garnishes for a hearty breakfast or lunch.
Transform this rice bowl into a quick, filling lunch with the addition of leftover chicken, turkey or cubed baked tofu. Or for a heartier breakfast, add sausage or bacon crumbles. Top with your favorite hot sauce for some added spice.
410 calories, 21 g. fat, 210 mg. cholesterol, 85 mg. sodium, 43 g. carbohydrate, 8 g. fiber, 13 g. protein